The best spot for any business marketing online is the first position in the search results. But how do you get there? Two answers: social media and search engine optimization (SEO).
This post explains how this combo can accelerate your search engine rankings fast and shares tips on how to implement these well today.
How Social Media and SEO Boost Search Engine Rankings
SEO and social media are two popular online marketing strategies that are different from each other.
- SEO is about optimizing your website to rank higher in search engine results pages (SERPs).
- Social media promotes your content through social channels, such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
Despite their differences, they can deliver a one-two punch to your digital marketing efforts, especially if your objective is to race to the top of the search results with your chosen keywords.
According to Digital Authority Partners (DAP), here’s how SEO and social media can help conquer the SERPs:
- They can improve your online credibility. Trust is a valuable currency online where people cannot experience the product and service until they buy. Both marketing strategies enhance your trustworthiness through user-generated content (social media) and expert opinions (SEO) or content showing topical authority.
- Both can stress the keyword and content relevance. To target a particular keyword, for example, SEO will help ensure that your website appears as a top result when people search for that term. Meanwhile, posting relevant content on social media helps keep your brand at the forefront of users’ minds.
- They deliver targeted traffic. Since SEO and social media focus on pulling in relevant leads, the people who visit your site are more likely to have a huge interest in your offers. Converting and proving trustworthiness and relevance become easier.
- SEO and social media make your site friendly to humans and crawlers. SEO has sitemaps and schema markup to encourage regular bot visits for indexing. Social media offers features like hashtags, comments, and share icons.
- They can generate quality backlinks. Getting other websites to link back to your site is a noble way to show search engines that you’re an expert in your field, and both can help you get these inbound links mainly through content marketing.
3 Tips to Mix Social Media and SEO Effectively
SEO and social media are non-negotiable if you want to get to the top spot in the search results. But they also demand thoughtful planning and execution work well.
Here are three tips to make this combination one of your most powerful digital marketing techniques:
1. Always Begin with SEO
Because the goal is to improve search engine rankings, it makes sense to start with SEO. Then use social media as one of your tools.
Here’s a plan you can follow:
- Perform a site audit to learn more about your performance. Note issues you should fix or abandon completely.
- Do keyword research to identify the terms you should target.
- Create or update your website content according to your findings. If you’re starting from scratch, focus on creating quality blog posts, product pages, and other keyword-rich, valuable content types.
- Strengthen your backlink strategies by searching for unlinked brand mentions and even social media.
- As you wait for your rankings to increase, promote your content and engage your audience on various social media platforms to boost visibility and brand awareness.
2. Match Your Tactics with User Intent
Social media and SEO can engage leads in every step of the buyer’s journey, from learning about your brand to making a purchase. However, match your activities with user intent.
Let’s begin with SEO. One option is to choose keywords according to purchase intent.
- Informational keywords are best for the top of the buyer’s journey when users want to learn more about a problem or topic. For example, “best camera phone” delivers results about various camera phone models.
- Navigational keywords are used by people who already know your brand but want to find a particular product or service. For example, “Nike store” directs users to the Nike website, where they can purchase items.
- Transactional keywords usually indicate a person is ready to purchase. For example, “buy running shoes” leads users to product pages where they can add items to their shopping carts.
How about on social media? Consider these ideas:
- Awareness stage. Post content that educates your target audience about your industry, product, or service. These can include behind-the-scenes, day in the life, and short-form videos.
- Interest stage. Share blog posts or infographics that showcase the product’s or service’s value. Emphasize why it’s better than your competitors.
- Consideration stage. Share user-generated content, case studies, or free trials/samples demonstrating how your product or service solves a problem.
- Decision stage. Offer coupon codes, discounts, or other promotional offers to nudge leads toward making a purchase.
3. Provide a Seamless User Experience (UX)
For a reason, UX is one of the vital ranking signals: if online users are happy, it means your content has helped them. Search engines will then think you’re relevant and valuable to your target audience when you’ve assisted someone. They will give you a raise—in this case, a bump in your SERP placement.
You can develop a meaningful experience with these ideas:
- Optimize your pages for mobile. Design accelerated mobile pages (AMPs), remember your core web vitals, and deploy content delivery networks (CDNs).
- Be consistent. Always wash, rinse, and repeat these techniques, especially on social media. Post regularly on your platforms. Better yet, consider creating a theme for each day, such as “motivation Monday” or “fun fact Friday.”
- Make it easy for users to find what they need. Implement site search, use drop-down menus, and include a search bar on every page of your website. Organize photos, add hashtags, and label PDFs with keywords.
- Use calls to action (CTAs). CTAs tell users what ySou want them to do next: subscribe, buy now, read more, contact us, etc. Place CTAs at the end of each blog post, on your website’s sidebar, and in the middle of long-form content.
Social media and SEO are two of the most effective digital marketing strategies. When used together, they can amplify each other’s effects and help you achieve your online marketing goals more quickly, including increasing search engine rankings.